Thursday, June 5, 2014

Sculpture

Did you learn new techniques or processes as part of the work for this project?


For the sculpture project I chose to use clay. I learned how to get all of the air bubbles out of the clay so that the piece would not explode in the kiln. For this you had to throw the clay at a board or knead the clay. Then you had to roll it out on the slab roller. if there were still air bubbles, you poked a hole in them and pushed out the air. I also learned how to carve and shape the clay into the picture I wanted. Overall, this was a very successful project.

How did you respond to challenges that occurred as you worked? 

This project was very hard because I had never used clay in this way. It was difficult to make all of the flower pots the same and to cut out all the tiny details such as flower petals and stems. I has to use several techniques before I could get the stems small enough to be proportional but large enough to stick to the main piece. I responded to these challenges by using different tools and different ways of applying the tiny details to the clay.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment