Friday, June 6, 2014

Art Journaling


My word for this project was beauty. I decided to use pictures of flowers to represent this word. The different mediums I used were tissue paper, acrylic paint, and magazine cutouts. I also used watercolor to stain the tissue paper. For the different prints I used a sponge, a tube for the circles and the end of a paintbrush for dots.

Thursday, June 5, 2014


Did you learn new techniques or processes as part of the work for this project?

For the sculpture project I chose to use clay. I learned how to get all of the air bubbles out of the clay so that the piece would not explode in the kiln. For this you had to throw the clay at a board or knead the clay. Then you had to roll it out on the slab roller. if there were still air bubbles, you poked a hole in them and pushed out the air. I also learned how to carve and shape the clay into the picture I wanted. Overall, this was a very successful project.

How did you respond to challenges that occurred as you worked? 

This project was very hard because I had never used clay in this way. It was difficult to make all of the flower pots the same and to cut out all the tiny details such as flower petals and stems. I has to use several techniques before I could get the stems small enough to be proportional but large enough to stick to the main piece. I responded to these challenges by using different tools and different ways of applying the tiny details to the clay.


Color Project

In Progress  

I picked creature for my color project. I incorporated this theme by drawing a picture of a turtle. I decided to add designs because turtles have many shapes and I wanted to take advantage of that  and make it look really cool.

 I used colored pencil because it fit the best for all of the tiny details. paints, oil pastels and chalk are all hard to do tiny details with. they also make it hard to have such a variety of bright colors.

I had difficulties with making the proportion of the head and body right. I also had trouble getting the right size and curve of the shell.


I think my piece was very successful. The shapes turned out really well and the colors all went well together. I am most proud of the detailing in the flippers and the shell.

If I could change one thing, I would have spent a little more time on the background of the piece. I could have made it a little more realistic.

I learned from this project that little details take a lot more time than you would think but it is worth it in the end!


Art History

File:Three Flags.jpgPiece and Movement

For the Art History project our group chose the painting called "Three Flags" by Jasper Johns. this painting was from the pre-pop art movement. "Three Flags" is made up of three paintings on canvases stacked on top of each other. 84 stars can be seen on this piece rather than the usual 48 (before Alaska and Hawaii).

If we were to do this project again...

If we did this project again, I would re-create the piece smaller. It was very large, so it took a long time to paint everything.

Megan, Hannah, Olivia - painting piece
Megan and Olivia - research and ppt
Megan - presentation
Judith and Hannah - in video
Megan - recording video   

Two-in-One in Progress

Two-in-One in Progress


   I incorporated the two-in-one theme by using similar shape. My two in one project combines a jellyfish with vines and ferns. I am using a jellyfish body with the plants being the tentacles.


   I am using the pencil/graphite medium for this project. I chose this medium because I like it the best and it is the easiest for me to use.


   So far I am having trouble using the right proportion for my drawing. It is hard for me to draw my two-in-one large enough on the paper. It is also difficult to get the right shading and make the body of the jellyfish symmetrical.


 Successful areas

   The most successful areas of my art piece were the shading of the body and the ferns. The shading turned out very nice and gave shape to the body. The ferns reflected real jellyfish tentacles.


   If I could change one thing, it would be the flowers on the tentacles. They were not very large and did not have shadingFrom far away, it was hard to tell what they were.


   I incorporated the theme two in one in my art piece. I used a jellyfish and ferns/flower vines. I used the jellyfish body and made the ferns the center of the jellyfish tentacles and the flower vines as the outer tentacles.